The highlight of my week is always when I get to volunteer as a Clinic Assistant at Venice Family Clinic. Not only is the staff great, but the patients are amazing. And, unique to the clinic is the fact that it caters only to low or no-income families in Los Angeles. I thought I’d throw in a small plug here on my website in order to better spread the word on what the clinic is up to. Here is some information on what the largest free clinic in the country is all about:
- There are over 21,000 patients filling over 110,000 visits annually
- Of these:
- 75% have no health insurance
- 70% live below the poverty line
- 26% are children
- 13% are homeless
- Running all 7 locations are 255 staff members and about 2,500 volunteers
- The clinic provides not only primary health care, but also mental health, homeless help, free prescriptions and lab work, health education, women’s health, asthma program, pediatrics, diabetes, dental care, HIV care, child development services, and referrals to a wide variety of specialists.
Being part of this clinic has really opened my eyes to how many people do not have health care access, and how difficult it is for those without insurance to get adequate medical care.
If you would like to be a patient, please click here to make an appointment.
This clinic could not stay open without the help of all the volunteers. If you would like to help with your time, please click here.
The clinic is also run largely by donations, both monetary and goods. We provide a clean set of clothes to the homeless, as well as create hygiene bags for those who do not have the means to provide basic hygiene for themselves. If you would like to donate money, clothes, soaps, etc, please click here.
Health care is not a privilege, but a right. It is hard for me to believe that in a country with so much wealth, there are so many people who are denied this right. If you live in the Los Angeles area, I would encourage you to check VFC out, because they do some really great things. Please feel free to send me a message if you have any questions!
For more information, visit Venice Family Clinic’s website.